Place:


Riseholme  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Riseholme like this:

RISEHOLME, a parish in the district and county of Lincoln; near Ermine-Street, 3 miles N N E of Lincoln r.station. Post-town, Lincoln. Acres, 1, 370. Real property, £2, 763. Pop., 93. Houses, 11. The property is not much divided. The palace of the Bishop of Lincoln is here; was erected about 1837, on an estate purchased from the late F. ...


Chaplain, Esq.; consists partly of the re-faced old mansion of Mr. Chaplain, partly of a new edifice; is in the Doric style, with a handsome colonnade; and stands amid prettily-wooded grounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £100. Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church was rebuilt by the late Bishop Kaye, at his own expense; and is a beautiful structure. The churchyard contains the grave and monument of Bishop Kaye.

Riseholme through time

Riseholme is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Riseholme itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Riseholme, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13505

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Riseholme ".