Place:


Wootton Courtenay  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wootton Courtenay like this:

WOOTTON-COURTNEY, a parish, with a village, in Williton district, Somerset; 10 miles W of Williton r. station. Post town, Dunster, under Taunton. Acres, 3,145. Real property, £2,291. Pop., 378. Houses, 73. The manor belonged anciently to the Courtneys, and belongs now to the Hon. R. H. Dutton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £386.* Patron, Eton College. The church was restored in 1867. Charities, £38.

Wootton Courtenay through time

Wootton Courtenay is now part of West Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wootton Courtenay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wootton Courtenay in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13499

Date accessed: 26th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wootton Courtenay ".