In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alton Pancras like this:
ALTON-PANCRAS, a parish and a liberty in Dorchester district, Dorset. The parish lies on the Downs, 2½ miles NE of Cerne-Abbas, and 7 E by S of Evershot r. station. Post Town, Cerne under Dorchester. Acres, 2,243. Real property, £2,642. Pop., 270. Houses, 55. The property is subdivided. The parish is a meet for the Blackmoor harriers. The living is a vicarage in the dio cese of Salisbury. Value, £208.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church is good. The liberty is co-extensive with the parish.
Alton Pancras is now part of West Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alton Pancras itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alton Pancras in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alton Pancras ".