Place:


Pilton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pilton like this:

PILTON, a village and a parish in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset. The village stands 2¾ miles S W of Shepton-Mallet r. station, and has a post-office under Shepton-Mallet, and a fair on the Monday after 10 Sept. The parish contains also the hamlet of Ham, East Compton, West Compton, Lower Westholme and Upper Westholme. ...


Acres, 5, 593. Real property, £11, 453. Pop., 1, 202. Houses, 261. The property anciently belonged to Glastonbury abbey, and now is much subdivided. Westholme House, Burford, Springfield House, and Perridge House are chief residences. An ancientbarn, which belonged to Glastonbury abbey, is near thechurch, and has an elegantly constructed roof. There is an extensive brewery, with malt-houses attached. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is ancient, of different periods; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower; contains a piscina and several ancient brasses and monuments; and the chancel was recently repaired, and has a large and fine E window. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, a national school, and charities £9.

Pilton through time

Pilton is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pilton, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13145

Date accessed: 16th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pilton ".