Place:


Kingston  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingston like this:

KINGSTON, a village and a parish in Taunton district, Somerset. The village stands under the S extremity of the Quantock Hills, near the Taunton and Watchet railway, 3½ miles NNW of Taunton; and has a post office under Taunton. The parish contains also the hamlet of Hestercombe. Acres, 3, 477. ...


Real property, £7, 475. Pop., 892. Houses, 174. The property is much subdivided. The Hestercombe estate belonged, in the time of the Confessor, to Glastonbury abbey; was given, by the Conqueror, to the Bishop of Coutance; passed to the Bishops of Winchester; and has belonged, since the time of Henry III., to the family of Warre. The parish is noted for its cider. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £202.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is early and later English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with sculptured and pinnacled tower; and contains finely carved bench ends in the flamboyant style, and an interesting old altar tomb of the Warre family. There are an Independent chapel, a school with £15 ayear from endowment, and charities £56.

Kingston through time

Kingston is now part of Taunton Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Taunton Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingston, in Taunton Deane and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13128

Date accessed: 05th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingston ".