In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hotham like this:
HOTHAM, a village and a parish in Howden district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on Ermine street, 3 miles NW of South Cave, and 5¾ NE of Staddlethorpe r. station; and has a post office under Brough. The parish comprises 2, 670 acres. Real property, £3, 029. Pop., 333. Houses, 74. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Henry Burton, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £328. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient and tolerable, and has a tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hotham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Riding of Yorkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hotham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hotham, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th June 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hotham".