Place:


Hartshead  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hartshead like this:

HARTSHEAD, a hamlet and a chapelry in Dewsbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies 2½ miles ENE of Brighouse r. station, and 4 W by N of Dewsbury; and has a village, of its own name, on the top of a considerable hill. Pop., 779. Houses, 167. The chapelry includes also the hamlet of Clifton; and bears the name of Hartshead-cum-Clifton. ...


Post town, Clifton, under Normanton. Acres, 2, 464. Real property, £11, 093; of which £1, 520 are in mines, and £25 in quarries. Pop., 2, 652. Houses, 556. Clifton hamlet contains the villages of Clifton, Kirklees, and Thornhills. Woollen manufacture, wire drawing, and card making are carried on. The manor, with Kirklees Hall, belongs to Sir George Armytage, Bart. Kirklees is traditionally said to contain the grave of Robin Hood. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £230. Patron, the Vicar of Dewsbury. The church of Hartshead is ancient, partly Saxon; and has a square tower. There is also a church in Clifton, built in 1860; and there is likewise in Clifton an endowed school.

Hartshead through time

Hartshead is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hartshead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hartshead, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12850

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hartshead ".