Place:


West Cranmore  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Cranmore like this:

CRANMORE (West), a parish in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset; on the East Somerset railway, under the Mendip hills, adjacent to Cranmore r. station, 3¼ miles E-Shepton-Mallet. It has a post office under Shepton-Mallet. Acres, 1,814. Real property, £3, 434. Pop., 292. Houses, 67. Cranmore Hall is the seat of the Pagets; and South-Hill is the seat of Sir E. Strode. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Doulting, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is old. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

West Cranmore through time

West Cranmore is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Cranmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Cranmore, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12698

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Cranmore ".