Place:


Garsdale  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Garsdale like this:

GARSDALE, a township-chapelry and a sub-district in Sedbergh parish and district, W. R. Yorkshire. The chapelry lies on the Clough river, under Baugh fell, 4 miles NE of Dent, and 9 ESE of Sedbergh r. station; and includes the lordship of Grizedale. Post town, Dent, under Kendal. Acres, 8, 280. ...


Real property, £3, 203. Pop., 618. Houses, 137. The property is much subdivided. A great proportion of the surface is moor and mountain. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £77.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is modern. There are chapels for Quakers, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists.—The sub-district is conterminate with the chapelry.

Garsdale through time

Garsdale is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Garsdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garsdale, in South Lakeland and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12660

Date accessed: 19th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Garsdale ".