Place:


Combe St Nicholas  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Combe St Nicholas like this:

COMBE-ST. NICHOLAS, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Chard district, Somerset. The village stands near the Chard canal and the Chard and Taunton railway, 2 miles NW by N of Chard; and has a post office under Chard, and a fair on the Wednesday after 10 Dec. The parish is divided into the tything of Betham, Clayhanger, Ham, and Wadford; and includes the hamlets of Sticklepath and Walton. ...


Acres, 4, 203. Real property, £7, 884. Pop., 1, 228. Houses, 268. The property is much subdivided. There was anciently a nunnery at Walton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £440.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is later Eng lish, cruciform, and good; and has an embattled tower. Charities, £160. -The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 16, 743. Pop., 3, 398. Houses, 690.

Combe St Nicholas through time

Combe St Nicholas is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Combe St Nicholas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Combe St Nicholas in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12655

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Combe St Nicholas ".