Place:


Ferrybridge  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ferrybridge like this:

FRYSTONE (Ferry), a township and a parish in Pontefract district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Aire, and on the Great Northern railway, 1½ mile NW of Knottingley r. station, and 2 NE of Pontefract; and is said to be partly in Pontefract parish. Ferry-Frystone parish includes the hamlets of Water-Frystone, Wheldale, and Ferrybridge; the last of which has a post office under Normanton. ...


Acres, 3, 040. Real property, £7, 033; of which £540 are in quarries. Pop., 904. Houses, 201. The property is much sub-divided. Frystone Hall is the seat of Lord Houghton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £240. Patrons, the Sub-Chanter and Vicars-Choral of York Cathedral. The church dates from the 11th century, and has a tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Clarkson's alms-houses have £10; and other charities £162.

Ferrybridge through time

Ferrybridge is now part of Wakefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wakefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ferrybridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ferrybridge, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12633

Date accessed: 16th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ferrybridge ".