Place:


Foston  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Foston like this:

FOSTON, a parish in the district of Newark and county of Lincoln; near the boundary with Notts and Leicester, 3 miles W by S of Hougham r. station, and 5¾ NW by N of Grantham. Post town, Long Bennington, under Grantham. Acres, 2, 180. Real property, £3, 994. Pop., 479. Houses, 119. ...


Foston House belongs to the noble family of Manners-Sutton; and gives them the title of Baron Manners of Foston. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Long Bennington, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is ancient, and has a pinnacled tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

Foston through time

Foston is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Foston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Foston, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12277

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Foston ".