Place:


Whiteparish  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whiteparish like this:

WHITEPARISH, a parish, with a village and five tythings, in Alderbury district, Wilts; 2¾ miles S by W of Dean r. station, and 8 SE by E of Salisbury. It has a post-office under Salisbury. Acres, with Earldons extra-parochial tract, 6,284. Rated property, £5,775. Pop. in 1851, 1,344; in 1861, 1,225. ...


Houses, 264. The property is subdivided. Melchet Park, Cowesfield House, Broxmore House, and Brickworth are chief residences. An interesting ancient farmhouse is at the entrance of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £200.* Patron, R. Bristow, Esq. The church was restored and partly rebuilt in 1869. There are two Methodist chapels, two endowed schools with £65, and charities £25.

Whiteparish through time

Whiteparish is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whiteparish itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whiteparish, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12150

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whiteparish ".