Place:


Teesside  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Teesside like this:

TEES (The), a river of Cumberland, Westmoreland, Durham, and Yorkshire. It rises on Cross fell, in Cumberland; runs 2 miles eastward to the boundary with Westmoreland; proceeds 8 miles eastward-eastward, dividing Cumberland and Durham from Westmoreland; and goes thence about 60 miles east-south-eastward and east-ward, along the boundary between Durham and Yorkshire, to the sea between Snook point and Turn point. ...


It expands into estuary, with a mean breadth of about 3 miles, over the last 4¾ miles of its course; it is navigable for small seaborne vessels, 4½ miles higher up to Stockton; and is tidal for an additional 4½ miles to Yarm. A great breakwater was begun, in 1863, to be formed at its month, with the view of converting its estuary into a harbour of refuge.

Teesside through time

Teesside is now part of Middlesbrough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Middlesbrough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Teesside itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Teesside, in Middlesbrough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1198

Date accessed: 23rd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Teesside ".