Place:


Butterwick  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Butterwick like this:

BUTTERWICK, a parish in Boston district, Lincoln; on the coast, near Boston Deeps, 4¼ miles E of Boston r. station. It includes an allotment in the East Fen; and has a post office under Boston. Acres, 4,420; of which 3,050 are water. Real property, £4,660. Pop., 605. Houses, 120. A large pond, which medical men declared to be highly pestiferous, was recently filled up and planted with vegetables. ...


The living is a vicarage annexed to the vicarage of Frieston, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church has an early English octagonal font, and a rood turret. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £289 a year, and charities £160.

Butterwick through time

Butterwick is now part of Boston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Boston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Butterwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Butterwick, in Boston and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11827

Date accessed: 19th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Butterwick ".