In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dauntsey like this:
DAUNTSEY, or Dantsey, a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts; on the river Avon, near the Great Western railway, 4½ miles SSE of Malmsbury, and 5¾ W of Wootton-Bassett. It has a post office under Chippenham, and a r. station. Acres, 3, 301. Real property, £5, 815. Pop., 578. ...
Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at the conquest, to Malmsbury abbey; and passed to the Danteseys, the Straddlings, the Danverses, the Crown, and the Great Earl of Peterborough. Part of the land is common. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £344.* Patron, the Rev. W. E. Elwell. The church has monuments of the Danverses; and is tolerable. Charities, £71. The parish gave the title of Baron to the son of James II. .
Dauntsey is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dauntsey itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dauntsey in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dauntsey ".