Place:


Brierley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brierley like this:

BRIERLEY, a township in Felkirk parish, W. R. Yorkshire; adjacent to the Barnesley canal and the North Midland railway, 5½ miles NE of Barnesley. It includes the hamlet of Grimethorpe; and has a post office under Barnesley. Acres, 2,610. Real property, £3,635. Pop., 491. Houses, 106. Most of the inhabitants are cloth weavers.

Brierley through time

Brierley is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brierley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brierley, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11682

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brierley ".