In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charlton like this:
CHARLTON, a parish in Pewsey district, Wilts; on the river Avon, near Salisbury plain, 3¼ miles S of Woodborough r. station, and 8½ SE by E of Devizes. Post Town, Pewsey, under Marlborough. Acres, 1,706. Real property, £1,835. Pop., 222. Houses, 44. The property is divided among three. ...
An alien priory was founded here, in 1187, by Reginald de Raveley; given, at the suppression of alien monasteries, to St. Catherine's hospital; and transferred, in the time of Edward VI., to the Sheringtons. A Roman camp is at Casterley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £143.* Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is old but excellent; with a tower; and has a mural brass of 1524. Stephen Duck, the author of the "Thrasher's Labour," was a native.
Charlton is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Charlton itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charlton in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Charlton ".