In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bolton By Bowland like this:
BOLTON-BY-BOWLAND, or West Bolton, a parish in the district of Clitheroe and W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ribble, at the verge of the county, 4 miles NNE of Chatburn r. station, and 6 NE by N of Clitheroe. It includes the hamlet of Forest-Beck; and has a post office, of the name of Bolton-by-Bowland, under Blackburn. Acres, 5,792. Real property, £6,242. Pop., 739. Houses, 152. Part of the surface lay within the ancient Bowland forest. Bolton Hall was formerly the seat of Sir R. Pudsey; gave shelter to Henry VIafter the battle of Hexham; and is now the property of Mrs. ...
A. Littledale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £335.* Patron, Mrs. A. Littledale. The church is later English, was restored in 1850, and contains a tomb of Sir R. Pudsey and his three wives and twenty-five children. There are an Independent chapel, a sessions courthouse, an endowed school with £34 a year, charities £20, and a workhouse.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bolton By Bowland has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ribble Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bolton By Bowland and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bolton by Bowland, in Ribble Valley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bolton By Bowland".