Place:


Blaenavon  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blaenavon like this:

BLAENAVON, a village, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in the district of Abergavenny, Monmouth. The village stands on the Avon-Llwyd river, at the terminus of thee Eastern Valleys railway, 6 miles NNW of Pontypool; and it has a post office‡ under Pontypool. Extensive iron-works and iron-mines are adjacent; the former begun in 1790, the latter worked by horizontal shafts. ...


The chapelry includes the village; comprises parts of the parishes of Llanover, Llanfoist, and Llanwenarth; and was constituted in 1860. Pop., 5,876. Houses, 1,105. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff; and since 1864 has included Capel-Newydd. Value, £290.* Patron, Thomas Hill, Esq. There are two Baptist chapels.-The subdistrict also comprises parts of three parishes. Acres, 7,933. Pop:, 7,114. Houses, 1,376.

Blaenavon through time

Blaenavon is now part of Torfaen district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torfaen has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blaenavon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blaenavon, in Torfaen and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1150

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blaenavon ".