In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Badsworth like this:
BADSWORTH, a township and a parish in Hems worth district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 5 miles S of Pontefract r. station, and has a post office under Pontefract. Acres, 1,529. Real property, £2,073. Pop., 219. Houses, 44. The parish includes also the townships of Upton and Thorpe-Audlin. Acres, 3,815. Real property, £5,915. Pop., 744. Houses, 158. The property is divided among a few. Badsworth Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £596.* Patron, the Earl of Derby; The church is later English. There are three Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £47.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Badsworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wakefield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Badsworth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Badsworth, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Badsworth".