Place:


Taynton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Taynton like this:

TAYNTON, a parish in Newent district, Gloucester; 2½ miles SSE of Newent, and 4 ENE of Mitcheldean-Road r. station. Post town, Gloucester. Acres, 2,501. Real property, £4,352. Pop., 689. Houses, 141. The property is much subdivided. T. House is the residence ofB. Atherton, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £450.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church was restored in 1866. There are a national school, and charities £24.

Taynton through time

Taynton is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Taynton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Taynton, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11355

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Taynton ".