In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Smeeton Westerby like this:
SMEETON-WESTERBY, a township-chapelry in Kibworth-Beauchamp parish, Leicester; ½ a mile S of Kibworth r. station, 1 NE of the Grand Union canal, and 5¼ NW of Market -Harborough. Post town, Kibworth-Harcourt, under Leicester. Real property, £3,293. Pop., 533. Houses, 114. The property is much subdivided. The canal here burst its banks in Sept. 1865, and was emptied for a distance of 10 miles. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £200. Patron, the Rector of Kibworth. The church was built in 1849.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Smeeton Westerby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Harborough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Smeeton Westerby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Smeeton Westerby, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th June 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Smeeton Westerby".