Place:


Austerfield  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Austerfield like this:

AUSTERFIELD, a township-chapelry in Blyth parish, W. R. Yorkshire; adjacent to Notts, and to the Retford and Doncaster railway, 1½ mile NNE of Bawtry. Post Town, Bawtry. Acres, 2,776. Real property, £3,477. Pop., 389. Houses, 89. A Roman camp occurs here on the line of North Watling-street; and a great battle is supposed to have been fought adjacent between the Britons and the Romans under Ostorins. The living is a curacy, joined with Bawtry, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is Norman.

Austerfield through time

Austerfield is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Austerfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Austerfield, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11242

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Austerfield ".