Place:


Muston  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Muston like this:

MUSTON, a village and a parish in the district of Grantham and county of Leicester. The village stands on the river Devon, adjacent to the boundary with Lincolnshire, near the Grantham canal, 1½ mile E S E of Bottesford r. station, and 5½ W by N of Grantham; and has a post-office under Nottingham. ...


The parish comprises 1, 623 acres. Real property, £2, 694. Pop., 360. Houses, 74. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £400.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a handsome structure; and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and two porches, with central tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school. The poet Crabbewas rector.

Muston through time

Muston is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Muston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Muston, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11161

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Muston ".