In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodplumpton like this:
PLUMPTON-WOOD, a village and a parochialchapelry in St. Michael-on-Wyre parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Lancaster and Prestoncanal, 1¼ mile S W of Barton r. station, and 4¼ N Wby N of Preston. The chapelry also contains the hamlets of Catforth, Eaves, Higher Plumpton, and Lower Bartle; and its post town is Preston. Acres, 4, 722. Real property, £9, 516. Pop. in 1851, 1, 574; in 1861, 1, 462. Houses, 292. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Birley, Esq. ...
P.-W. House, P.-W. Lodge, Swil-brook House, Barnfield House, Hollowforth, and Bartle Hall are chief residences. Extensive tile and drain-pipeworks are at Eaves and Catforth. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £175.* Patron, the Vicar of St. Michael-on-Wyre. The church is ancient, and was modernised in 1852. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £23a year, a small workhouse, and charities £24.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Woodplumpton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Preston. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Woodplumpton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodplumpton, in Preston and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Woodplumpton".