In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whittle le Woods like this:
WHITTLE-LE-WOODS, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Leyland parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles E by S of Leyland r. station, and 6 SSE of Preston; is a scattered place; and has a postal pillar-box under Preston, and a large brewery. The township comprises 1,357 acres. Real property, £6,576; of which £80 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,310; in 1861, 2,151. Houses, 443. The decrease of pop. was caused by the stoppage of a manufactory. The property is sub-divided. ...
Shaw Hall is the seat of T. B. Crosse, Esq. Medicinal springs were discovered in 1845; they arise from coal-borings, at a depth of 265 feet; they are much frequented by invalids and pleasure parties; and they gave rise to the erection of baths, a public hall, and a spacious hotel.The chapelry was constituted in 1830. Pop., 2,856. Houses, 587. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Leyland. The church was built in 1823.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whittle le Woods has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chorley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whittle le Woods and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whittle le Woods, in Chorley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whittle le Woods".