Place:


Farsley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farsley like this:

FARSLEY, a hamlet and a chapelry in Calverley parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies near the river Aire, the Leeds and Bradford railway, and the Leeds and Lancashire railway, 4 miles NE of Bradford; and has a post office under Leeds. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Pop., 3, 117. Houses, 699. Buildingstone and coal are worked; and the woollen manufacture is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Ripon. Value, £156.* Patron, the Vicar of Calverley. The church is recent. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a mechanics' institute, and a school.

Farsley through time

Farsley is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farsley, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1090

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Farsley ".