Great Sankey  Lancashire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Sankey like this:

SANKEY (Great), a township and a chapelry in Prescot parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Sankeycanal, the Grand Junction railway, and the Warrington and Liverpool railway, 2½ miles W of Warrington; and has a station on the latter railway, and a post-office under Warrington, both of the name of Sankey-Bridges. ...

Acres, 1, 909. Real property, £3, 842. Pop., 563. Houses, 108. The manor belongs to the Hon. L. Powys. Barrow Hall is the residence of J. A. Wright, Esq. railway viaducts here cross the S. canal; and that of the Grand Junction railway has 9 arches. The chapelry was originally conterminate with the township, but wasgreatly extended in 1865. Pop., 1, 347. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120.* Patron, the Hon. L. Powys. The church is an old brickbuilding. There is a national school.

Great Sankey through time

Great Sankey is now part of Warrington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Warrington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Sankey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Sankey, in Warrington and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th March 2018

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Sankey ".