Place:


Elmersthorpe  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elmersthorpe like this:

ELMSTHORPE, a parish in Hinckley district, Leicester; on the Leicester and Nuneaton railway, 3 miles NE by E of Hinckley. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Hinckley. Acres, 1, 650. Real property, £1, 446. Pop., 45. Houses, 5. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Earl-Shilton, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, not reported. Patrons, Trustees. The church was used as the head-quarters of Richard's army previous to the battle of Bosworth; and is now in ruins.

Elmersthorpe through time

Elmersthorpe is now part of Blaby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blaby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elmersthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elmersthorpe, in Blaby and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10732

Date accessed: 20th May 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elmersthorpe ".