Place:


Diseworth  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Diseworth like this:

DISEWORTH, a parish in the district of Shardlow and county of Leicester; on an affluent of the river Trent, near the boundary with Notts, 3½ miles SW of Kegworth r. station, and 6 NW of Loughborough. It has a post office under Loughborough. Acres, 1,880. Real property, £3, 299. Pop., 567. ...


Houses, 143. The property is divided among a few. A number of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £197.* Patron, alternately the Haberdashers' Company and Christ's Hospital. The church is tolerable. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. A school has £10 from endowment; and other charities £17. Lilly the astrologer, "the Sid-rophel" of Butler's Hudibras, was a native.

Diseworth through time

Diseworth is now part of North West Leicestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North West Leicestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Diseworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Diseworth in North West Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10723

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Diseworth ".