Place:


Lowick  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lowick like this:

LOWICK, a township-chapelry in Ulverstone parish, Lancashire; on the river Crake, 5 miles N of Ulverstone r. station. Post town, Newton-in-Cartmel. Acres, 1,900. Real property, £2,382. Pop., 468. Houses, 86. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Gaskarth family. Lowick Bridge, ¾ of a mile N of the church, commands a fine view of Coniston-water and Coniston-fells. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Valne, £10 4. Patrons, Mrs. Gaskarth and sisters. The church is a small edifice, covered, over both walls and roof with blue slate. Charities, £6.

Lowick through time

Lowick is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lowick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lowick, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10648

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lowick ".