Place:


Sunbury on Thames  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sunbury on Thames like this:

SUNBURY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Staines district, Middlesex. The village stands on the river Thames, and on the Thames Valley railway, 4¾ miles W of Kingston; was known, at Domesday, as Suneberie; gave the title of Viscount to the Montagues; and has a post-office under London W, a r. ...


station with telegraph, a police station, and many fine residences.—The parish contains also two hamlets, and comprises 2,400 acres. Real property, £11,960. Pop. in 1851, 2,076; in 1861, 2,332. Houses, 488. The property is much divided. Kempton and Spelthorne are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £390.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church was rebuilt in 1752, and was recently repaired and enlarged. There are an Independent chapel, a Wesleyan chapel of 1866, a military training college, a national school, and charities £146.-The Sub-district contains 7 parishes. Acres, 11,603. Pop., 7,289. Houses, 1,429.

Sunbury on Thames through time

Sunbury on Thames is now part of Spelthorne district. Click here for graphs and data of how Spelthorne has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sunbury on Thames itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sunbury on Thames, in Spelthorne and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1054

Date accessed: 21st June 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sunbury on Thames ".