In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinstock like this:
HINSTOCK, a village and a parish in Market-Drayton district, Salop. The village stands near the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction canal, 3 miles W of the boundary with Stafford, and 5½ S of Market-Drayton r. station; and has a post office under Market-Drayton. The parish comprises 3, 036 acres. Real property, £5, 774. Pop., 791. Houses, 185. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Richard Corbet, Esq. Hinstock Hall is the chief residence. Building stone is quarried; and there is a mineral spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £504. * Patron, Richard Corbet, Esq. The church has a tower, and was enlarged in 1851. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hinstock has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Shropshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hinstock and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinstock in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hinstock".