Place:


Diddlebury  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Diddlebury like this:

DIDDLEBURY, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Ludlow district, Salop. The township lies on the river Corve, 5 miles NE of Craven Arms r. station, and 7½ N of Ludlow; and has a post office under Bromfield, Salop. The parish includes also the townships of Corfton, Earnstrey-Park, Lawton and Little Sutton, Lower Park, Middlehope, Paston, Peaton, Great Sutton, and Westhope. ...


Acres, inclusive of Skirmage extra-parochial tract, 9, 535. Real property, £10, 831. Pop., 829. Houses, 157. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the donative of Westhope, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £358.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is early English, and tolerable. Charities, £44. There was anciently an alien priory.—The sub-district contains four parishes, part of another, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 18, 310. Pop., 2, 086. Houses, 399.

Diddlebury through time

Diddlebury is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Diddlebury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Diddlebury in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10253

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Diddlebury ".