REDMARSHALL, a township and a parish in Stockton district, Durham. The township lies 1¼ mile S Wby S of Carlton r. station, and 4¼ W N W of Stockton-on-Tees. Acres, 956. Real property, £852. Pop., 62. Houses, 12. The parish contains also the townships of Carlton and Stillington; and its post town is Stockton-on-Tees. Acres, 3, 513. Real property, £2, 968. Pop., 278. Houses, 56. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Marchioness of Londonderry. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £341.* Patron, the Crown. The church is cruciform; has a Norman chancel arch, and a tower; and contains three later English sedilia, and an alabaster altar-tomb of J. Langton, who died in 1497. Charities, £13.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Redmarshall CP/AP Stockton PLU/RegD County Durham AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.