ASHTON, a township and a chapelry in Tarvin parish, Cheshire. The township lies near Delamere forest, 3¼ miles SE of Dunham-Hill r. station, and 7 NE of Chester. It has a post office under Chester. Acres, 1,303. Real property, £2,732. Pop., 411. Houses, 81.The chapelry is called Ashton-Hayes, and was constituted in 1849. Pop., 626. Houses, 114. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £160.* Patron, W. Atkinson, Esq. The church is in the later English style. There are two Methodist chapels.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Ashton CP/Tn Tarvin CP/Tn/AP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.