Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for AUSTWICK

AUSTWICK, a township-chapelry in Clapham parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near Ingleborough hill, 2 miles NE of Clapham r. station, and 4½ NW of Settle. Post Town, Clapham, under Lancaster. Acres, 5,400. Real property, £5,224. Pop., 561. Houses, 128. Austwick Hall is the seat of T. R. Clapham, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Clapham, in the diocese of Ripon. The church is modern. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £27.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Austwick CP/Tn       Clapham CP/AP       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Austwick

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.