Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for COMBE-FIELDS, or Combe-Abbey

COMBE-FIELDS, or Combe-Abbey, a quondam extra-parochial tract, now a parish, in Rugby district, Warwick; near the Oxford canal and the Fosse way, 3½ miles WSW of Stretton r. station, and 5 E of Coventry. Post town, Brinklow, under Coventry. Acres, 4, 210. Real property, £6, 167. Pop., 177. Houses, 37. A Cistertian abbey was founded here in 1150, by Richard de Camville; was given, at the dissolution, to the Earl of Warwick; and passed to Robert Kelway, Lord Harrington, and to the ancestor of the Earl of Craven. Combe-Abbey mansion, the Earl of Craven s seat, was built on the abbey-ruins by Lord Harrington; has undergone changes and extensions; retains parts of the ancient cloisters, in Norman architecture; exhibits mainly Tudor features; includes a front, said to be after a design by Inigo Jones; stands in a park of about 500 acres; and Contains a rich collection of pictures.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a quondam extra-parochial tract, now a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Combe Fields CP/PA       Rugby PLU/RegD       Warwickshire AncC
Place names: COMBE ABBEY     |     COMBE FIELDS     |     COMBE FIELDS OR COMBE ABBEY
Place: Combe Fields

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.