HARTSHILL, a village and a chapelry in Mancetter parish, Warwick. The village stands on the river Anker, on the end of a hilly plain, near Watling street, the Coventry canal, the Trent Valley railway, and the boundary with Leicester, 3 miles NNW of Nuneaton r. station; is supposed to occupy the Campus Martins of the Roman Manduessedum; and commands a view in which are seen 45 parish churches. The chapelry includes also the hamlet of Chapel End; which has a postoffice under Atherstone. Real property, £5, 349; of which £398 are in quarries. Pop., 1, 129. Houses, 269. Ruins exist of a Norman castle, built in 1125 by Hugh de Hardreshull. A large wood extends from the W side of the village to nearly the camp at Oldbury. Excellent road metal is quarried; greenstone and iron ore abound; and manganese and copper ore are found. Ribbon making is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £135.* Patron, the Vicar of Mancetter. The church is a modern edifice, in the Norman style. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £37 a year, and a national school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Mancetter AP/CP Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.