HATCHAM, a manor and a chapelry in Deptford-St. Paul parish; the former in Surrey, the latter partly also in Kent. The manor lies on the London-Bridge and New Croydon railway, at New Cross station, 2 miles SW by W of Deptford; and has two post offices, the one E of New Cross Tollgate, under Deptford, London SE, -the other W of New Cross Tollgate, under Peckham, London SE. It was known at Domesday as Hacheham; and it was held by the Brixi, who gave name to Brixton hundred. Acres, 670. Pop. in 1851, 4, 074; in 1861, 5, 731. Houses, 969. Hatcham House and Hatcham Manor House are chief resideuces.The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop. in 1861, 9, 887. Houses, 1, 630. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London Value, £160.* Patron, the Rev. A. K. B. Granville. The church was bnilt in 1850, is in the Gothic style, and stood incomplete at the beginning of 1865.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a manor and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "land parcels")|
|Administrative units:||Surrey AncC|
|Place names:||HACHEHAM | HATCHAM|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.