LEGH (HIGH), a village and a township-chapely in Rostherne parish, Cheshire. The village stands 3¼ miles S of Heatley and Warburton r. station, and 5 N W of Knutsford; is a scattered place; and has a post office under Knutsford. The chapelry comprises 4,257 acres. Real property, £8,359. Pop., 1,004. Houses, 175. The property is divided among three. High Legh Hall is the seat of GeorgeLegh, Esq.; and West Hall is the seat of Major Eggerton Leigh. Much attention is given to the dairy. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £250. Patron, E. Leigh, Esq The church was built in 1815; superseded a previous edifice of 1404; and is a neat stone structure. A domestic chapel, erected in 1581, stands on the grounds of High Legh Hall. There are a national school, and charities £5.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a township-chapely" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||High Legh CP/Ch Rostherne AP/Tn/CP Cheshire AncC|
|Place names:||HIGH LEGH | LEGH | LEGH HIGH|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.