WILSHAMPSTEAD, or Wilstead, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Bedford; on the Midland railway, 4 miles S of Bedford. It has a post-office under Bedford. Acres, 3,027. Real property, £4,604. Pop. in 1851, 923; in 1861, 1,032. Houses, 216. The property is divided chiefly among five. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400.* Patron, the Rev. Lord John Thynne. The church was repaired and enlarged in 1851. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £11.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish, with a village" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Bedfordshire AncC|
|Place names:||WILSHAMPSTEAD | WILSHAMPSTEAD OR WILSTEAD | WILSTEAD|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.