Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NARFORD

NARFORD, a parish in Swaffham district, Norfolk; on the river Nar, 1¾ mile E of Narborough r. station, and 4¾ N W of Swaffham. Post-town, Brandon, under Swaffham. Acres, 2, 396. Real property, £1,783. Pop., 128. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Narford Hall, belongs to the Fountaine family. The Hall was built by Sir Andrew Fountaine, the antiquary, and the friend of Pope; is a handsome edifice, in well-wooded grounds, with a small lake; and contains a fine collection of paintings and articles of vertu. A considerable village once existed in the parish, and was a market-town; but hascompletely disappeared. Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Narborough, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is anold building, of different dates; and has a tower. Achapel, dedicated to St. Thomas æ Becket, once stoodon an eminence.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Narford AP/CP       Swaffham PLU/RegD       Norfolk AncC
Place: Narford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.