Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CARON-YS-CLAWDD

CARON-YS-CLAWDD, a parish in Tregaron district, Cardigan; on the Sarn Helen way and the rivers Berwyn and Teifi, at Tregaron r. station, and 18½ miles NNW of Llandovery. It is called also Caron, Tregaron, and Trefgaron; and it contains the townships of Caron-Uwch-Clawdd, Blaen-Aeron, Tre-Cefel, BlaenCaron, Tref-Lynn, Croes and Berwyn, and Argoed and Ystrad, the last of which includes the town of Tregaron, with a post office under Carmarthen. Acres, 39,138. Real property, £4,056. Pop., 2,608. Houses, 567. Much of the surface is bog and mountain. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £156.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Davids. The church has a good tower; and the churchyard contains some ancient monumental stones. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. Twm Shon Catti, the famous robber of the 17th century, who afterwards became high sheriff of the county, was a native.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Caron Is Clawdd AP/CP       Tregaron PLU/RegD       Cardiganshire AncC
Place: Caron Is Clawdd

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.