Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for EVENWOOD

EVENWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Barony township, Auckland-St. Andrew parish, Durham. The village stands on an eminence, above the river Gaunless, adjacent to the Northern Counties Union railway, 5 miles SW of Bishop-Auckland; and has a station on the railway. The chapelry was constituted in 1863. Post town, Cockfield, under Darlington. Pop., 1, 949. Many of the inhabitants are coal miners. A castle once stood here; and there are still traces of its moat. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. There is a Wesleyan chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Auckland St Andrew AP/CP       County Durham AncC
Place: Evenwood

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.