Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Grantham

Grantham.-- parl. and mun. bor., market town, par., and township, S. Lincolnshire, 25 miles SW. of Lincoln and 105 miles N. of London by rail -- parl. bor., 5811 ac., pop. 17,345; mun. bor., 1676 ac., pop. 16,886; par., 5560 ac., pop. 16,442; township, pop. 6080; 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. From its being situated on the Roman road called Ermine Street, it has been assumed that Grantham was a strong Roman station. The town was first incorporated by Edward IV. in 1463. At the grammar-school Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727) was educated. With the exception of some agricultural trade, some malting, and a few minor industries, Grantham has no great commercial importance. It returns 1 member to Parliament.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "parliamentary and municipal borough, market town, parish, and township"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Grantham CP/Tn/AP       Grantham Borough       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Grantham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.