Place:


Calton  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Calton like this:

CALTON, three townships, a chapelry, and a subdistrict, in the district of Ashborne and county of Stafford. The townships are Calton-in-Mayfield, Calton-in-Blore, and Calton-in Waterfall; they lie in three several parishes, designated in their respective names; and they are contiguous to one another, at a point 2½ miles W of the river Dove, 4½ ENE of Froghall r. ...


station, and 5½ NW by W of Ashborne. Acres of the three, 2,480. Real property, £1,911. Pop. of C.-in-M., 70; of C.-in-B., 72; of C.-in-W., 65. Houses of C.-in-M., 17; of C.-in-B., 17; of C.-in-W., 13. The chapelry includes also a detached part of Croxden parish; and its Post Town is Ashborne. The living is a donative in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £86.* Patron, the Vicar of Mayfield. Fairs are held on 15 Aug. and 20 Sept.-The subdistrict contains eight parishes, parts of three other parishes, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 17,689. Pop., 3,036. Houses, 618.

Calton through time

Calton is now part of Staffordshire Moorlands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Staffordshire Moorlands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Calton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Calton in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7986

Date accessed: 21st May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Calton ".