Place:


Cumrew  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cumrew like this:

CUMREW, a village, two townships, and a parish, in Brampton district, Cumberland. The village stands at the west foot of Cumrew Fell, 4¾ miles S by E of Milton r. station, and 6 N by E of Kirkoswald. The townships are Cumrew-Inside and Cumrew-Outside. The parish consists of these townships; and its post town is Croglin, under Penrith. ...


Acres, 2, 694. Real property, £3, 435. Pop., 136. Houses, 30. The property is divided among a few. Cumrew House is the seat of J. Gill, Esq. Dunwalloght Castle, now a confused ruin, was a seat of the Dacres. Cumrew Fell, a mountain ridge extending north and south, is crowned by a vast cairn, called Cardunneth. Another cairn is near the church; and two others elsewhere have yielded a rough stone coffin and a pottery urn. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £81.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is good.

Cumrew through time

Cumrew is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cumrew itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cumrew, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4598

Date accessed: 02nd June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cumrew ".