Place:


Popham  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Popham like this:

POPHAM, a parish in Basingstoke district, Hants:on the Southwestern railway, near Mitcheldever station.and 7½ miles S W of Basingstoke. Post-town, Mitchel-dever Station. Acres, 1, 387. Real property, £1, 290, Pop., 1 24. Houses, 22. The manor belongs to Lord Ashburton. P. House was long the chief seat of the Popham family. ...


P. Beacon is 460 feet high; and commands a fine view. P. Lane was part of the ancient Roman road from Winchester to Silchester, and is followed by the railway . The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the p. curacy of Woodmancott, in the diocese of Winchester. The church is ancient.

Popham through time

Popham is now part of Basingstoke and Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Basingstoke and Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Popham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Popham, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4000

Date accessed: 03rd August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Popham ".